Sunday, April 22, 2007

Squirrels are STILL Vermin



Yesterday I met Jamie Jean for coffee after my morning run with the sharks. (okay, okay, they're lawyers, but not sharky ones. I just love the mixed metaphor.) Anyway, the weather was lovely, so we chose to meet at a sidewalk cafe'. One of the other patrons had a baby squirrel perched on his shoulder. He explained that his neighbor's dog had dispatched the mama squirrel and other babies, and that he had saved this one, and was feeding it through an eyedropper and with fruit. He let me hold the squirrelet, which he had named Herman. It was adorable, promptly curling into the sleeve of my sweater and trying to nurse on my hand.

Though my heart was touched, I refuse to be swayed from my dislike of squirrels, especially the one that keeps jumping onto my birdfeeder and eating the seed. Annoyingly, I now wonder if it's a little squirrel mama with babies in the nest. Harrumph.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would that make him Herman the Vermin?

7:35 AM  
Blogger Marlys Hesch Sebasky said...

It's ok, honey...Grandpa hated sqirrels, too. You come by it honestly.

He never out-smarted 'em either.

xoxo, Mom

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stew...the only thing squirrels are good for. Stew the little critters.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, that is great. Please let me know why I can never catch/touch baby squirrels. You must have a way with animals.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Mr. Wentz said...

Should've taken the opportunity to make a squirrel switch, had you only been prepared enough to have a wild squirrel up your sleeve. Well, lesson learned for next time.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home