Saturday, June 28, 2008

4 Weeks Old

Sleeping in Daddy's arms after walking to the main beach at Lake Nokomis and back. (My longest walk since the c-section. It's going to be awhile until I'm up to running 26.2 miles at a stretch again!)

Waking up.

Hungry hand munching.

Well hello there, Lefty...

It doesn't seem possible, but as of today, Josephine is four weeks old! The time has passed in a blur, but even so there are little changes that we've noticed: she is sleeping longer at a stretch, and seems to be nursing more efficiently. (Either that, or she's just in between growth spurts at the moment.) When she was born she weighed 8 lbs., at her 2 week check-up she was nearly 8.5, and now I suspect she's somewhere close to 10. She has lost her bandy newborn look and gotten softer and rounder, and her cheeks are starting to get that fullness that I associate with breastfed babies. Her range of noises has expanded to include grunts, coos, and the occasional enraged bellow (when she doesn't have access to nourishment at the moment she wants it. . .) Her facial expressions, too, are getting more varied. When she sleeps she seems to be practicing different emotions with all the exaggerated enthusiasm of a community theater actor: Surprise (milky mouth in an "oh", eyebrows raised halfway to her downy hairline), Suspicion (brows drawn down, mouth flat) and Happiness (this most often when she has fallen asleep post-nursing, stretched out across my lap with her mouth and nose still nuzzled against my chest). When she is especially frantic to eat she latches on with a comically furtive look that I long to catch on video, and once she starts the milk flowing her face morphs into a beatific mien that reminds me of Bill Cosby's zany smile in a childhood's worth of Pudding Pop commercials.

She really is amazing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marlys Hesch Sebasky said...

HOORAY!! I've been NEEDING a left handed grandchild!!

She truly is an amazing lil girl!

xoxoxo
Damma

1:16 PM  
Blogger Lemony said...

Actually, I meant she was eyeing up my left breast, but trust you to read it as a left-hander:-)

Yeah, we're pretty lucky to have her.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Woah!! You had a baby!! I guess I was a little out of the loop. She's gorgeous. I hope I get to meet her one of these days.

Josie, a great name. I have a very good 3-yr-old friend named Josie (as well as a 32 yr-old one).

Congrats!!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Lemony said...

Jess!

Great to hear from you, my Pacific NW friend. Belated congrats on your house, by the way. Josie would like to meet you, too:-)

11:27 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

Oh, sweet, sweet baby. Congratulations! Nature and I hope to see you all soon.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home