Monday, August 22, 2005

The Hunt for Re-Boxed Turbos


Sorry, sometimes I can't help reeling in the lamest puns imaginable.

I am in the process of buying a 2000 Volkswagen Golf TDI (diesel engine). Though I am getting an amazing deal by purchasing through a wholesale connection of my brother's, this is still a somewhat anxiety-provoking situation: I have never driven the car. In fact, at the moment the turbo is completely blown and the car is inoperable. It sounds like I will probably end up putting at least $1000 into the equasion on top of the sales price before the car will be road-worthy. Sigh. I'm still getting the car for a very good price-- even with the necessary repairs it will be much less than it would have been through normal channels, which I truly appreciate. I think that once the car is running everything will be great, but in the mean time, as I call Volkswagen dealers and aftermarket car parts businesses, hoping to find a rebuilt turbo or a rebuild kit for the turbo that we currently have, it just feels like the antithesis of immediate gratification. Of course, it does give me something to do as a count down the days left at work. My desk is littered with cryptic post it notes such as 'AAA auto- no t. may have 2001 body- c/b tomorrow' and 'St. C. dlr $100 less-- need gaskets?'

Later. . .

Yay! I just found out that the timing belt was replaced not long ago, so that's one maintenance issue we don't have to worry about that for quite awhile. I also found out that a local salvage yard has a replacement cup holder, ash tray cover, and hub cap available, for much less than the dealer price on the same items. I am feeling a great deal more bouyant about the whole situation. I also found out, to my surprise, that the car, which was very dirty on the inside, was traded in by a priest! Hmph. Not what we had guessed at all. Well, let this be a lesson that, um, priests are slobs too.

Now to get the turbo fixed and the car running! And what should I call this new car? Write in with your suggestions.

6 Comments:

Blogger MrFares said...

Das ehemaligeautodespriestersdieseswauntidyzuderZeitdesErwerbes

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knew the Little Lemony had a blog? Wonderful!! Now I'll have two blogs to read every morning.

Congrats on the surviving the wedding thing (although it was the loveliest wedding I've ever attended) and the little hike at the end of the honeymoon :^) Congrats on going back to college. It IS part of the family tradition, you know - and you didn't even wait until you were 56 like Grammie. When does school start? Are you getting new school shoes? Or something?

Kisses to the Mr., Wiley, Maisie and Django. I love you all - and miss you. Bummer that Minneapolis has its own Ikea.

Love hees munch - A. Non

10:45 PM  
Blogger Lemony said...

Fares, that is truly a fitting name, though it doesn't roll off the tongue with quite the ease I was hoping for. Maybe "Mary Margaret" would work better. We'll see. Another late night of cleaning parts covered with a film of oil from the blown turbo and having grit fall in my eyes and we are almost ready for the maiden voyage. Only a gasket, an oil change, and a bracket to go! Pray for the resurrection, true believers.

Noona, I DID buy new school shoes (at REI.) They are very cool. And one pair of striped socks. Classes start September 7th, which is rapidly approaching. You're right, it IS a tradition in our family to go back to school. Maybe it'll be Mom's turn next. . .

We got the proof album for the wedding back a couple days ago. There are some lovely shots of the cake. ILY and miss you, too, Noona-- Maybe I can drive Mary Margaret down to visit you (and your kitchen project) sometime soon.

Lemony

11:30 AM  
Blogger Marlys Hesch Sebasky said...

How can we make suggestions when we have no idea what color the car is, or what gender?
Since you posit "Mary Margaret", you must be thinking "distaff", hm? Well, then, given her religious background and her blown engine, maybe you could check "The Lives of the Saints" for an appropriate female martyr.
Hey, it wasjust a suggestion, lol
ILY!
Mom

10:31 PM  
Blogger Marlys Hesch Sebasky said...

BTW, VERY cool wedding pics!! Thanks :^)

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl! I'm glad somebody is keeping track of their Mumma while I'm in Tuscany (which is wonderful BTW). Best of luck to you in school! Let me know when it's red sweater weather!

LHM - Noona

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home